Saturday 26 April, 2008

The importance of user experience

Multiple companies are competing in the same space to win customers. In terms of price, features and support there is really not much different between one compared with other. Then, whats the differentiating factor between one product (company) to other? The 'user experience' is the answer. Everybody knows how Apple's iPod has disrupted the music industry, thanks to its excellent user experience. Probably iPod is the only gadget my mother can use at first shot without any problem.

I own a Sony Ericsson's p990i, which is one of the high-end mobile phones as of today. It has a whole bunch of features in two different modes. In fact there are many features that I have not used even a single time. I am sure thats the case with any technology product/gadget even if you are a geek. But there is a fundamental design problem with the product (See picture).




The call receive and disconnect buttons are placed next to each other with no gap in between them. Any adult's thumb is bigger than the button size. In my case 4 out of 10 times I end up cutting the call, instead of receiving it. The person on the other end (especially friends and family members) feel that I am cutting the call deliberately. This is a classic example for bad use experience design of p990i. Its very small design error but makes a huge difference for users like me.

Have you ever faced such bad user experience with any product?